I have reserved 10 rooms at the Marriott in Newport News' City Center. Because of our conference, we have had about $40 knocked off the price and it's a paltry $99 a night.
I have to sign the contract with the Marriott, but I hope at least 10 people plan on staying at the hotel. Otherwise, your's truly is on the hook.
We have decided to not use the Mariner's Museum for our little swanky party on Saturday night.
1) It's expensive
2) They don't return my calls
3) CNU has a killer menu and bar. I'll post the menu here this weekend and we can look over what we want to eat.
Just to recap --
Friday is a check-in at the Marriott and a cocktail party at CNU. If someone wants to have hospitality suites at the Marriott, it's their dime/responsibility.
Saturday: Everying at CNU. Coffee and Donuts. The conference...including a lunch. And a swanky dinner. Hospitality suites, again, for those who want to.
Sunday: On your own. Recommend staying overnight on Saturday and going to Mariner's Museum (to see the Monitor)/and Jamestown on Sunday.
CNU has really gone out of their way in providing the facilities we need to make this conference work. Working with Dr. Quentin Kidd has been a breeze.
So, what's next? Here's a mini-plan of action:
- Establish the menu so that we can finalize costs (Jim, with input from all)
- Complete the contract with Marriott, so that you can begin to make your reservations (Jim)
- Establish a bank account and get the money items all worked out (Vivian Paige -- our accountant)
- Invite our keynote speaker (Jim, with input from all)
- Establish a program (All)
- Determine and acquire conference items (Unassigned, with input from all)
- Determine levels of sponsorship and solicit sponsors (All)
- Develop communications plan (The Squeaky Wheel, with input from Jim)
- Determine, nominate and select Blog Awardees (Badrose, with input from all)